Carbon Monoxide (CO) is called the invisible killer because you cannot see it or smell it. This poisonous gas is created when fossil fuels do not burn completely. Malfunctioning or improperly vented fireplaces, furnaces and portable and stationary generators can produce CO. The only way to detect CO is with a working CO alarm.
It is required to install an alarm on each level of your home. For best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home; when one sounds, they all sound. Follow manufacturer instructions for placement and mounting height. Install CO detectors 15' from sleeping areas. CO detectors are also required if there is an attached enclosed garage. Test your CO Detectors once a month. If your alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door and call 9-1-1.
During and after a snow storm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up. A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, door and vent openings. Use gas or charcoal grills outside ONLY, they can produce CO.
FACT: A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time, or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.